Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Windy Run

So I started back at the running thing, mainly because I really enjoy it. I like classes I can take at the gym but there is something about just getting out in the world and going someplace with your legs.

It also gives me time to think, or not think about anything at all that is important. Which is nice, at least an hour of my day is spent not thinking about stressful things. At the end of last summer in August I could run a 5k in 30 minutes without stopping on a treadmill. Then I stopped. Now that I've picked it up I can run/walk a 5k in 42 minutes and I go outside to do it. On Monday I ran and thought that I would be faster on the treadmill... well that wasn't the case. I went a little over 3 miles on Monday and it took me a whole hour. Today with my hour I got in 4 miles. 4 miles. Can you believe that? I didn't run the whole thing but I don't think that matters.

Anyway, today was perfect. It was a cloudless sky, in the 60s and the sun was very sunny. I knew that it would be a total waste to go to the treadmill, even though I think doing walking/running intervals on that makes me a lot faster. So I went down to the stadium where I like to run and ran. I realized pretty quickly into the run that it was SUPER windy which felt great because I didn't get sweaty too much but its hard to run into the wind! I also realized that it was SUPER sunny and I wish I had put some sun screen on my face! Now I'm the proud owner of a nice pink sunburn that is giving me a headache and making me down water like I'm dying of thirst!

I can't get the exact splits for each mile without buying the mapmyrun app, which I have thought about doing just because it would be nice to upgrade and get all the info for my runs, but the first mile I did was 13ish minutes. Thats not a bad mile! The rest I eventually gained a minute each time so by the end I was at a 15 minute mile.


I'm kinda worried about the 5k time because I don't want to be super slow because- pause for effect- I'm running/walking a 5k on Saturday! One of my friends needed people to signup for her sorority run so I'm going to help her out and get an early workout in on Saturday morning! Today the 5k was 43 minutes so I guess thats not too horrible! Not for having been doing this for about 2 weeks now. I'm just glad that I'm running again. I feel much better and I'm ready to get healthy and feel good about myself again.

1 comment: