Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Madras Soup Recipe

I have been writing in the morning because I realized that its some of the only down time that I have. So I guess I'm just going to be talking about yesterday. Hope thats okay rather than taking about today, which has been good so far, but its only 8:25!

Yesterday morning I got up at the ass crack of dawn (5:30) to get to do my workout. It was only 15 minutes but it was a 15 minute HITT, and I was pretty tired afterwards, but also felt happy that I had done it. Today is my day off, which is great because its my only weekday off from work, so I can get some things done in the morning (like sleeping in!) that I wouldn't normally get to do. 

I realized yesterday after seeing a classmates post on facebook that I have a paper due Monday. I thought I had more time for this, but I guess not. Its over a book I am reading. The book is pretty good, I just need to finish it by this weekend. I also have a committee meeting on Tuesday so I will be getting ready for that this weekend as well. Nothing like looking forward to a busy weekend, when you arent even there yet!

I have to admit that I'm having a love affair with Indian food! When I went home this weekend I got a bunch of stuff to be able to cook different Indian dishes. The first one I tried was Madras Soup, which is this tomato and coconut milk soup that is delicious! Mom had it at our fave. Indian restaurant and so I thought I would try to make it. It called for regular coconut milk, but I used lite coconut milk, next time I think I will add a third can of it, rather than the two, to help with the flavor. Or just use regular coconut milk (which has a ton of fat!). 

Madras Soup
So I also made another dish which is Saag Paneer, I think I already told you about my last attempt at this, well I did it this time and it was more or less a success. I cooked it on the stove top, but it just needed to cook even longer, so I popped it into the slow cooker to simmer all night, and it really helped the flavor! I found a recipe for Saag in a crock pot, so I think I'm just going to do it that way next time rather than try to do it on the stove. 

Saag: looks gross, but tastes amazing!

Today I'm making Dal, and this time I have the right kind of lintels! 

I'm not sure what everyone else does when it comes to weighing in. I saw someone on a group for weight loss that I'm in post and say that she has a love hate, but mainly hate relationship with her scale and that she isnt losing weight. So I wonder if people check the scale daily or once a week, once a month? I know I probably shouldnt but I step on the scale almost every morning. I have always done this, before it used to be because I wanted to see if I had lost weight and how much every day. Now, I use it as a guide to tell me how I'm doing with what I'm eating, how much water I'm drinking and if working out is helping me. I used to record my lowest weight of the week on my weigh in day, which sounds like cheating, even if I had gained some of it back during the week. Now I just record what I see on weigh in day. It really is a helpful indication of how much water I'm drinking and if I had too much salt.

I'm going to post my soup recipe, I got it from Vegweb but I made some changes because, lets be honest, thats the best way to do it.

Madras Soup

Servings: 6-8

Ingredients

  • 1 jug of tomato juice (64 oz)
  • 3 cans of light coconut milk (or 2 cans of regular coconut milk)
  • 4 tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 1/2 tbsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp caynne pepper
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Greek yogurt (one tbsp for each serving) 
Directions

Combine all ingredients, except the greek yogurt, in a big pot. Bring to a gentle boil on medium high heat. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Add a tablespoon of greek yogurt as a tangy garnish and some extra protein. 

This is one of the easiest recipes I have done in a while! If you can get reduced sodium tomato juice I would suggest that, if not, dont worry about it. 

Enjoy!


1 comment: