Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tasty Tuesday!

Today was good, I was off of work for MLK day yesterday and so it was nice to be back at work, it totally keeps me accountable in what I'm eating and when. Is it sad to say that my day revolves around my snacks and my lunch? Mainly because I am trying so hard not to over eat. Plus, the thing about eating small meals though the day is that, when it's time to eat, my body is like EAT NOW! And so I do absolutely have to eat every 2.5-3 hours.

The day started out very nice, kinda muggy and by the time I got out to go for a walk with Corey, it was SO COLD! I was in work out shorts and a sweater. About half way through the walk, I was warm from my boobs up, but my belly down was so cold! Either way it felt great to get out and walk. I always dread it, all day long I think about how I dont want to do it, but when I finally get out there, I always enjoy myself. It's even better doing this with Corey, its a good time for us to just chat about our days, even though we do see each other every day, its nice just to get some one on one time when it's not a date night.

So I'm going to do something fun today, I'm going to institute Tasty Tuesday's, mainly because I forgot to take a picture of us walking, so I'm going to take a picture of my healthy dinner. In an effort to eat healthier and to save money we have stopped eating out (this past weekend was a total abnormality-something I'll have to save till later to talk about because I'm interrupting what I wanted to say). And so I am cooking almost every night, which is awesome because 1. it saves money 2. gives us stuff to eat later for lunches, and 3. is very tasty and we know exactly what we are eating.

Tonight is a very good winter food, and is awesome for all the vegetarians out there, because there is no meat, although I did use chicken stock, but you can replace that with veggie stock. (courtesy of Weight Watchers, which I've since butchered and made better)

Recipe: Spicy Black Bean Soup

Ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil
1 large onion- chopped
3 cloves of garlic- minced
4 cans of black beans
2 cans of corn- drain juice
1 giant can of rotel
2 cans of chicken broth (or veggie!)
2 Tbsp cumin ( I LOVE cumin so I did 4)
2 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp of red pepper flakes (or whatever spicy spice you have handy)
.5 cyan pepper
2 bay leaves
.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp pepper

In a giant pot heat up oil, cook onions and garlic about 2 minutes. Add 3 cans of beans, both cans of corn (juice drained off unless you want a sweet taste), the giant can of rotel and the chicken/veggie broth.

Stir in cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, cyan pepper, bay leaves, salt and pepper.

In a blender blend the last can of beans until smooth, you may have to add some of the broth to get it to blend. (Side note- if you want this to be smooth you can blend all of it, but I like mine chunky, so blend as many or as little cans of beans that you want)

Cook for about 30 minutes on low- partly covered, you want it to simmer and the flavor to develop. You dont want all the liquid to boil out. Make sure that if you blended a lot of the beans, that you will need to keep coming back to stir it because the bean bits like to sink to the bottom

Serve with cilantro or some cheese. Corey loves cheese with it. We did ours tonight with a side of corn bread.


Enjoy the soup, and just remember that you can do more or less spicy, just do it to your own taste, most of the time I dont remember to measure anything.

Happy Eating and Happy Tasty Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment