Sunday, June 17, 2012

Baked Egg Rolls


Today was great! I'm not a super big fan of Father's Day. Don't have the best of dad's but I do have the BEST grandpa in the whole world. And I have the BEST father in law in the whole world. I often think that I wished I had him for a dad, but then I would have been my husbands sister... and that would have been weird. So I'm just thankful for Corey's dad!

In honor of Father's Day, me and my Papa two years ago at my wedding

So happy Father's Day to all those great dads out there! Make sure to tell all the father's in your life how much they mean to you!

Now! This week is the week of no eating out, yes I have gone for a month without eating out, but I plan to cook every night this week! I'm really excited about it and I have some awesome recipes lined up for the week. I'm doing this in an effort to make sure I'm counting my calories correctly and eating enough! Its really hard to count calories and eat out.

I'm not sure if I want to post the recipe first, or if I'm going to talk about my day... so I'm going with day first so if you want the recipe (SKIP TO THE RECIPE NOW!!!). When I go to blogs to read recipes, I like to skip the crap, you won't hurt my feelings! 

Now I didn't post about this earlier, mostly because I have had so much more to talk about, but Corey (my husband) is going to be gone for two months working in Huston. It's been a whole week without him and I miss him terribly. Usually he is gone for a week and comes home during the summer, when Best Buy sends him out to work in different stores. But this time they are working longer and at further away stores. He says in September he is going to be in DC for two weeks to work. I told him that I'm coming to visit the weekend that he is there... we'll see if that actually happens (but my bet is on me :)!) 

But the cool thing (and if you are counting calories and it might not be such a cool thing) is that I'm going to visit at the end of the month! We are going to the beach! Super excited about that! But I'll be away from home, I'm going to get a blender to bring with me so I can have my shakes and I'm working out while I'm down there too, because I just can't go 4 days without working out. Especially with all the eating I'm going to be doing! 

A side not about the bodybugg... I told Corey he should get one (because he is trying to lose weight too) and I sent him the one I had gotten and it is for sale for 99 bucks!!! Here is my referral to you, if I refer someone I get 25 bucks for my subscription and YOU get 20 dollars off your purchase!! How awesome is that?! To do that just send me an email at rachele(dot)smith(at)yahoo(dot)com (sorry about the email dots and at, I just don't want crappy spammers sending me email) and tell me that you want to be referred to get 20 bucks off your bodybugg! Or here is the LINK to buy one without a referral from me. Either way, it's a great little thing to have. I don't even notice it on my arm any more and I absolutely love knowing how many calories my body has burned a day. There is nothing that makes me want to work out more than seeing how many calories I really burned during a workout. And the coolest thing is that it is the real amount of calories you burned, not just some randomly generated number from an app on your phone.

Here is my calorie count for the day, although I did switch it up and move my shake to my last meal of the day.

Breakfast: 1 cup of cooked oatmeal, 1 small apple, 1 packet trivia 

Lunch: 1 serving Chicken Tikka Masala with rice, 1/2 c of grapes

Afternoon snack: 1/2 piece of yellow cake, 1/3 of a piece of brownie

Dinner: 4 buffalo chicken egg rolls, 1/2 cup steamed veggies, 1 cup watermelon

Evening Snack: Shakeology, 1 c almond milk,  1 banana, 1 tbsp almond milk

Total for the day: 1690 calories (arg I need to eat more!)

Water: 3 liters

Workout: Turbo Fire, Fire 30, Stretch 10

Now on to the good stuff!! 

For dinner I cooked Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls. I got the recipe at Can You Stay For Dinner, and as always I couldn't leave well enough alone and had to shake up her wonderful recipe! So if you want the original head on over. Or just keep reading and get close to it!





Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls

Ingredients: 
  • 12 egg roll wrappers 
  • 1 cup (6 oz) of cooked chicken, shredded  (I had 8 oz of left over chicken and it made 16 rolls)
  • 1-2 Tbsp Sriracha hot sauce (or whatever you have on hand)
  • 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (4 oz) 
  • 1 cup of broccoli slaw or coleslaw, make sure its dry
  • small bowl of water
  • non stick cooking spray 
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400

Lay out the egg roll wrapper on a clean work surface. In a bowl stir chicken** together with hot sauce until coated, feel free to use more hot sauce, we don't like horribly spicy things at my house, or take some away if you dont like my amount! Next place a little bit of the chicken on the wrappers, then 1-2 tablespoons of the slaw, and half a table spoon of the blue cheese crumbles. Don't over fill! I didn't have this problem. 

To fold: Dab a bit of water on the 4 corners of the wrapper. Fold the left and right sides in. Put a line of water at the top of the wrapper and roll from the bottom up and when you get to the top lightly press the  loose part of the wrapper to the roll. If this doesn't make any sense, just play with it. That's what I ended up doing to get the best roll.

Place the finished rolls on a pan sprayed with non stick cooking spray and place in the oven. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  About 10 minutes into cooking I flipped them over and sprayed them with the non stick cooking spray to make them brown and crunchy all over. 

Like I said above, I did this with leftover chicken. You can cook half a pound of chicken and shred it and use it in this recipe. 

This was a perfect leftover recipe and if you have random ingredients laying around your kitchen I suggest you put them in an egg rolls. We decided tonight that they would be awesome with mexican food too, with some corn and black beans and cheddar cheese! Yum!


These only have 101 calories each! So good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment