Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Jury Duty Experience

This has nothing to do with weight loss! Last month I got a notice in the mail about serving for federal court on jury duty. It was an interesting experience. The letter I got, told me that I needed to call the night before to see if my name was on the list, and it was. Sadly I'm still an "S" so I had to listen through half the alphabet before it came to me! They wanted us to be there at 7:30 am.

Thank goodness that I didn't have to workout today! Love my days off! Getting up at 5 am would have not been any fun! So I got up, and got there right at 7:30. We had to sign in and then waited about 45 minutes. Then we watched a video about jury duty and what to expect. There were about 100ish people there. The lady in charge told us that we would have a 20 minute break and then we would get a call from the judge to go upstairs to the court room.

Well 2 hours later we were still waiting to hear from the judge. I had meant to bring a book, but I forgot. And I really wanted to bring my kindle, but because we were told not to bring our cell phones, I didn't think I could have it with me. So I didn't take it, but when I was going through security one of the security guards said the lady in front of me had something electronic in her purse, and she held it up and said that it was a kindle... so I probably could have brought mine. As it was, I was bored out of my mind. So I sat there after the 20 minutes and a lady (Kyla, I learned later was her name) came and sat down by me, and we started to talk, mostly because we were both bored.

Then we went to the bathroom and came back and sat down, and the lady (Lisa) that I had walked into the building with started talking to Kyla and I. They were both mothers of three, and it was really fun to just sit and talk to them. I guess they were in their 30s and they would talk about something and I would be like "whats that?" and they kept saying "she is so young!" it was really nice to feel young when I'm 5 days away from 26! But they were really sweet, and it was fun to get to know them!! And they made the time pass much faster.

FINALLY, they said that we would go up to the 4th floor to the court room. I really wanted to go up the stairs because I had no intention of getting stuck on an elevator with all those people. Plus I figured that I could beat the many trips of the elevators. There was another elevator on the other side of the building, so half the people went to that one. We stayed with the close one, and waited on Kyla so that she could run to the bathroom real fast, because we didn't know how long we would be in the court room.

We made it up to the courtroom only to wait more, because apparently the other elevator got stuck and we had to wait. Eventually, the court reporter said that they would just do the people stuck in the elevator separately. So the judge came in and talked for about 10-15 minutes about how great the American justice system was. He told us that at the last minute the accused criminal (did I mention it was a criminal trial? because it was!) confessed to doing it. So he had the lawyers introduce themselves and I knew one of them! She used to work for my former bosses business associate, it used to be Hatfield and Lassiter at the office I worked for (its Hatfield and Sayre now) and the girl I knew had worked for Lassiter. I was kinda excited that I might get picked. But there was no way because I knew her.

Kyla, Lisa and I left and were starving and we walked to a place close by and chatted and ate lunch. They said that I probably won't get called again, but I'm on call for the rest of May. I hope if I do get called, that Kyla and Lisa are there. We exchanged emails, and I hope to hear from them, it was very nice to have met some super awesome ladies!!!

That was the best thing that I got out of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment