Thursday, January 17, 2013

A no snow, snow day

So tomorrow is the end of the week, which I'm digging. I wont have school Monday because of MLK day. It will be nice to be out of school. Speaking of which, I was off yesterday for a snow day that didnt have any snow. I would say that I was productive with my time, but that would be a big fat lie.

I wanted to try to make saag paneer, which is basically Indian creamed spinach with soft cheese made from whole milk. Its one of my favorite Indian dishes. I dont like creamed spinach, but I LOVE this kind. I made the paneer the night before, it wasnt that hard. Heat up whole milk, add citric acid to separate the curds from the way, press the curds into a block and voila! cheese! So that was no problem. I had tried a recipe from Chef In You, which is this amazing blog that has loads of wonderful vegetarian dishes. I tried the Dal Bukhara, and while I didnt have the right kind of lintels, it was still amazingly tasty. I'm still eating it, and I plan on having a nice serving for lunch today (yum!).

Anyway, I tried this recipe for saag paneer and it wasnt that great. I didnt have any fenugreek leaves, and I tried mustard greens but replaced the fenugreek with more spinach. I even steamed all the greens to help keep the nutrients in, rather than boiling them to cook it. First it looked awful, like baby food, and then second it was the most disgusting thing I have put in my mouth in a long time. Ick, ick, ick. I dont like mustard greens. Period. I threw the whole thing out. Next time, I'm going to have to find another recipe. I did make the paneer and it turned out fine. So at least I didnt fail the whole recipe.

After that, I ate lunch (the dal) and sat down on my couch and flat out fell asleep for 4 hours. What a waste of my day. But I guess I needed some sleep, because I didnt have a problem going to bed last night.

Because of the failure of my saag, I had planned later in the week to do a stir fry. I dont know if you have ever heard of PF Chang's Singapore Streetnoodles, but it is full of fresh veggies and flavor, they add shrimp and chicken, but obviously that wasnt something that I was going to add. So I made it! It was excellent! I added tofu to it. I'm hands down not a fan of tofu because of the weird texture and the lack of taste, but I chopped it up into teeny cubes and added it, hoping that I wouldnt be able to notice it. And I really didnt. I was glad to be able to add some kind of protein to it.


I know I really didnt touch on this, on my last post, but I did lose 4 pounds. Of which, I'm super excited. I had worked out twice last week, but this week I haven't really felt like it. I need to find a plan to consistently work out and just make myself do it. The original plan that I was following for Turbo Fire was 5 months, but I would really like to just make it through the whole 3 months of the original schedule. I know I said that becoming a vegetarian was going to be a big commitment and here I am doing it, and its not so bad and really not as hard as I thought it would be. I mean as long as I have something to eat in the house, I dont find myself craving sugary things or chips or anything. I havent had a binge in a week and a half. So maybe committing to work out 6 days a week only for 3 months wont be so awful. I guess I just need to make up my mind and do it. I feel good about my food choices, but I dont feel good about working out, and I know from experience that it is half of what I'm doing. 

Maybe I just need to take this a week at a time and not even think about the next weeks (or months) of workouts until its time to think about it. I think I over think things ;).

I know this post is getting long, but I havent written in a couple of days, so just bear with me, I only have one more thing to talk about. Today (as in just now) I realized that maybe I just need to make a long list of things that I want to accomplish either this year, or just in general. I figure it needs to be just in general, because near the end of the list I was getting desperate to think of things. I decided to do 27 goals because that's how old I will be this year (plus a new one I just thought of). Here is my list:

1. Weigh 125 pounds
2. Finish 3 months of turbo fire (no skipping)
3. Enter in more photo contests/exhibitions
4. Run a 5k
5. Do the couch to 5k program without quitting halfway through
6. Ride my bike to school
7. Try a triathlon
8. Go to a Zumba class
9. Make a cookbook of all my favorite recipes
10. Learn to develop film
11. Drink more water
12. Try P90x
13. Write down everything I eat
14. Create new recipes
15. Wear cuter clothes
16. Be better at cleaning house
17. Learn to sew
18. Write a book
19. Become a personal trainer
20. Be vegan
21. Color my hair red
22. Get a tattoo
23. Go to Europe
24. Pay off my credit card
25. Run a Ragnar
26. Take a picture every day
27. Wear a bikini 
28. Imitate the greats

Some of this wont happen in a year, but I think a lot of it can. So I think I'm going to just start and work my way through this. My first one obviously needs to be fitness based because that's whats lacking right now in my health plan. Maybe looking at the big picture is just something that I dont need to focus on right now. Most of the time I feel like I'm struggling to just stay afloat, so I think I just need to keep the focus on the now. Next week I'm going to start my 3 months of Turbo Fire. I have started it on the wrong day before, and its hard to keep up with the days, but I dont want to put this off and not have it happen so maybe I just need to do it today. 

I think the hardest thing is going to be finding time to squeeze this in. My problem is this, every day but Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday I have to be at school at 8 am. I usually get up at 6. If I have more than a 30 minute workout I run out of time to do things in the morning, which means getting up earlier than 6 and going to bed earlier than 12. I dont do well working out at night. Plus, usually I dont have time at night. I feel like I'm more likely to put it off either way! I could do it at lunch, but I usually get really sweaty and dont have time to workout during my 2 hour break. All excuses I know! I guess it's going to be the morning for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment