Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fun with Experimental Baking

Happy Saturday! I have some fun things to say before I get into what this post is really about (sugar free cookies!). First off I love Saturdays, not just because I get to sleep in. But because it's my yoga day. 

Today my book club met and there sitting right smack dab in the middle of the table was a beautiful strawberry (my favorite!!) cake with vanilla icing. And I knew as soon as they took the lid off of it, that it would smell so good! Luckily, I wasn't very hungry. I had worked out late (i.e. got up late) and had to scarf down a quick lunch, which consisted of the other half of my mexican food dinner from last night, before the meeting. So I wasn't very hungry. Plus, most of the people there know I'm not eating sugar, nor am I eating yucky stuff, so there was carrots and greek yogurt dip, and apples, grapes and pineapple to nosh on. And I was very thankful for that. But that damn cake looked soooo good!!! When we did pull the lid off of it, it didn't smell nearly as good as I thought it would. So I really wasn't that disappointed. 

Last night Corey and I went to dinner and then to a movie. Yesterday was a big 45 minute workout. So I had burned a ton of calories, plus I had had a really great lunch. So I was feeling good going into dinner knowing that I had had a good food day so far. So we went to a mexican restaurant, which is my weakness. We did get cheese dip, which was very good. And I got fajitas. I guess because of the cheese dip, I just couldn't eat as much, plus I didn't really want to eat the whole thing. There was a TON of food on that plate!! So I ate 1/3 of it, and then put the rest in a to go box. It was soooo good! There was grilled chicken and beans and rice. I didn't really eat the rice. Honestly I don't have much of a craving for carbs anymore. So I just ate a couple of the tortillas, which were pretty small, which I thought was nice. And then we went to see American Reunion.

It was great! I would suggest it to anyone who wants a good laugh! It was great to hear all those old songs. There is a line in the movie, where the Spice Girls are playing on the radio, and a young girl says "I just love classic rock!" saying that the Spice Girls were classic rock... it makes me feel old!! 

___________________________________________________________________________________

Okay so now own to my baking adventures. After not eating the cake today I decided that I wanted to try to bake something with no sugar in it. So I decided to go for sugar free oat meal cookies. I have two recipes for this. The first is my base, and the second is what I actually did. I have no idea how the first recipe tastes, because I didn't do it! But the cookies I made... they rock.

So here they are...

Sugar Free Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe 1:

Ingredients:

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c oatmeal
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cloves
½ cup raisins 
1 c applesauce
1/3 c oil
¼ cup water
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingrediants in a mixing bowl. Mix well. Drop spoonfulls onto lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake in 375 oven for 10-15 minutes or until browned.

Rachel's Sugar Free Oatmeal Cookies:

Ingredients:

½ cup wheat germ
½ cup ground oatmeal
1 c oatmeal
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp cloves
½ cup raisins
2 apples cooked into apple sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs
¼ cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
Stevia to taste- I used 3 tablespoons or more. I didn't really measure.

Apple Sauce: For the apples I just peeled them, cut them and put them in the food processor. After they were ground up I nuked them in the microwave for 1 minute and then mushed them up.

Ground Oatmeal: I just tools some oats and ground them in the food processor as well. I'm sure you can buy it ground, but I just did it myself.

You don't have to go through all this trouble, just get some apple sauce and ground oats, but I didn't want to go to the store, so I just used what I had on hand.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, if you used my apple sauce you may have to add the apples first and mix them into the mixture, then add the eggs, because the apple sauce was hot and you don't want scrambled eggs. Mix well. Drop spoonfuls onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and mash down. Bake in 350 oven for 10-15 minutes. Or until brown

I got about 37 cookies. But my first batch of cookies, I didn't know to flatten them, so they are big mounds of cookies. Don't freak out of they don't spread out, because they won't, because of the lack of flour or sugar. 




My calorie estimate is for 30 cookies (mainly because the size of my cookies wasn't really consistent): 

Calories: 40
Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 14.1 mg
Sodium: 5.6 mb
Potassium: 55.7 mg
Carbs: 5.4 g
Fiber: 1g
Sugar: 3.2g

Enjoy!!


Also, about the pictures, I swear they taste better than they look!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment