Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Our Sweet Rosie

All this morning I spent customizing the blog... and I really like the way it turned out!

Today I'll have two posts one for Rosie and one for Tasty Tuesday. The two just don't go together, so I thought I would split them up. I do just want to say that I was right yesterday, it was water weight from waaaay too much sodium. After peeing all day yesterday and eating yummy fruits and veggies I'm back on track. And I lost two pounds!! So I'm down 14!!! Yay!

___________________________________________________________________________________

My post today is in memorial to our sweet dog Rosie. After a long battle with cancer, she died yesterday. We have never had to put down an animal. Usually, they just run away or get stolen.

We got Rosie 8 years ago, my first year of college. She was the most adorable beagle puppy ever. She was soooo tiny that when we would take her out, we would carry her. I don't have any puppy pictures of her though. Our other dog Honey, who was a year or so old, would go up to her and push her over with her paw. I was always so scare that Honey would hurt her! 


She was so little that she became an instant lap dog! Sadly she just didn't stay little! She got big and fat! We used to call her a log. Rosie loved to play and you could chase her around and get her to play all the time. We would throw the ball for Honey, and Rose would always chase after Honey, she never cared about the ball. 






The pictures I have here are from 2008, I took a bunch of family photos with everyone and did some of the dogs too.

I guess it was November or October of last year my brother Phillip noticed that there was a lump in Rosie's bottom. So he took her to the vet, and the vet said that she had cancer, but it was only on the surface, and so he took it out.

Well I guess it was the end of March when we started noticing that her poo was flat, and that her ears, which were usually very silky and smooth were really rough. Mom had just changed her food, so we thought it was the food, and changed back to the old food, and started to give her an egg in her food in the morning, because its supposed to help a dogs coat. And she was looking very very skinny. We fed her tons, but she still looked skinny.

After a while she could hardly poop, so we took her back to the vet and he felt in her and said that the cancer was back and that is was obstructing her poop ways. We could do surgery, chemo, or try to give her a little time with medicine. We went with the medicine. He said to give her pregnazone (don't ask me how to spell that...) and a medicine for incontinence (because she couldn't help it and peed on the floor a lot).




















The vet said that it would give her about a month. She would feel really good for a while, and then we would know when it was time.



The night before last, I came into the room where she sleeps and she had peed all over the room and had poo in little tiny pellets. I told mom about it the next morning and mom said that it was the same when she came in (I had cleaned it up.). You could always tell Rosie felt so bad about the mess she would make. But it wasn't her fault. Mom said that she didn't feed her yesterday because there was no point in putting more food into a stomach that was already a max capacity. So she called the vet and we went over after mom got off work. Before we took her over to the vet, mom was cleaning up the pee and Rosie wouldn't even get up to wag her tail. And she was always the first one to get up and wiggle around.



It was the absolute saddest thing ever. Needless to say, there were many tears. And it just breaks my heart that she is gone. But she isn't suffering any more. If any dog deserved to go to heaven it was Rosie. She was the sweetest, most loving and loyal dog we have ever had. She never barked, unless we were playing. She never got over being too big to not fit in our laps. There wasn't ever a person or piece of food that Rosie didn't love. She LOVED food! Any time, any type! We will always love her and miss her, especially her silky ears. 

Honey, Phillip, Rosie and Stephen's Arm- In action!

1 comment:

  1. I think all dogs go to heaven Rachel. Nice pics, a good post, and good memories. Thanks. - Mom

    ReplyDelete