Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Baked Couscous

Hey! So like I said, this is my post for Tasty Tuesday!!

I would like to claim this Baked Couscous for myself... but I can't! I found the recipe on Pinterest. It is by The Naked Kitchen! And it is sooo wonderful! I'm going to post the recipe here. But feel free to go to The Naked Kitchen and check out all the other amazing recipes! I did add and redo some things just for simplicity!

Baked Couscous


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups dry couscous
2 cups water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
5 cups raw spinach
1 can (15 ounces) no salt added diced tomatoes, drain and reserve the juice
1 medium onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese 
1 tsp salt, divided
1.5 tsp dried parsley
1.5 tsp dried oregano
2.5 tsp dried basil 
Bring the water to a boil  in a medium pan over high heat and add 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp parsley, 1/2 tsp oregano, and 1/2 tsp basil.  Add the couscous and stir well , cover and remove from the heat.  Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
Add the garlic and onions and sauté for 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the drained, diced tomatoes, remaining salt and herbs and sauté for 10 more minutes.


Preparation:
In a big bowl, mix the couscous, raw spinach, tomato/onion mixture and the reserved tomato juice together and add to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish (or whatever you have that it will fit in).
Sprinkle with cheese and top evenly with the breadcrumbs.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the cheese it melted and brown.
Remove from oven and serve immediately.
I was in a hurry and didn't read the recipe right and I put the bread crumbs below the cheese, but it still turned out great! So either way is good!

Calorie Breakdown: 9 servings
Total Calories: 165, Total Fat: 4, Cholesterol: 5 mg, Sodium: 380mg; Potassium: 332mg, Total Carbs: 26 g, Fiber: 2.4g, Sugars 3.7g, Protein 8.2g
This is my serving of the Baked Couscous

For dinner I also did beef skewers, with zucchini, squash, bell pepper and onion. And I cooked up some asparagus!


And for "dessert" I did grilled pineapple. If you have never had grilled pineapple... then you need to make and eat some asap!! It is so juicy. The thought of warm fruit used to gross me out until I had this and it is so juicy and delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment