Thursday, April 19, 2012

Sugar or no Sugar?

I wasn't going to post tonight. I was going to do something tomorrow or Saturday. But after the semi success of my sugar free cookies I wanted to try to find something that is sugar free in a cake-like form. And of course that just leads me to other people's blogs. This isn't a problem, some of the tastiest recipes I have found are from peoples blogs.

So, while I haven't found my perfect cake yet, I just wanted to post because I keep seeing everything in moderation, even sugar. But not everyone knows what sugar does to your body. I wanted to find a good explanation of what sugar does when it goes into your body so brace yourself for a complicated way of saying that too much refined sugar makes you gain weight! (You can skip this purple type if you want...)

"Much of the sugar that enters the bloodstream is originally stored in the liver in the form of glycogen until needed, when it is again changed into glucose.

When the amount of glycogen exceeds the liver's storage capacity of about 50 grams, it is released into the bloodstream in the form of fatty acid.

This fatty acid is stored first in the more inactive places of the body, such as the buttocks, thighs, and midsection.

Then, if cane sugar, fruit sugar, dairy sugar, and other simple sugars continue to be eaten, fatty acid becomes attracted to more yang organs such as the heart, liver, and kidneys, which gradually become encased in a layer of fat and mucus.

This accumulation can also penetrate the inner tissues, weakening the normal functioning of the organs and causing their eventual blockage as in the case of atherosclerosis.



The buildup of fat can also lead to various forms of cancer, including tumors of the breast, colon, and reproductive organs.

Still another form of degeneration may occur when the body's --internal supply of minerals -- is mobilized to offset the debilitating effects of simple sugar consumption.


For example, calcium from the teeth may be depleted to balance the excessive intake of candy, soft drinks, and sugary desserts.

In order to prevent these degenerative effects, it is important to
avoid or minimize the consumption of refined carbohydrates, as well as naturally occurring lactose and fructose in dairy foods and fruits, and to eat carbohydrates primarily in the form of polysaccharides found in grains, beans and bean products, vegetables, and seaweed."



Yeah I went there... all this to again say that sugar is bad for you. This came from a post on a forum. I only put it here because it closely says the same thing the book This is Why You're Fat (I know... I know.. I talk about this all the time :D) says about what sugar does when it enters your body. One of my favorite things from the book is when she talks about the difference between refined sugar and sugar from fruit. She says that in that piece of fruit, it has everything that your body needs to break it down. In refined sugar, we've stripped that away, and it just turns straight into glucose.

All this to say that I found a blog that was talking about diabetic cake recipes. They said that...


"Some experts suggest that instead of ingesting a larger quantity of “sugar-free” treats, perhaps a choice to have a small portion of “normal/real” treats would be a better option. This might be more satisfying to the diabetic, and then moderation might occur naturally.
And many support the concept that eating the real thing in moderation is healthier than eating substitutes."
To this I have to say several things...
1. Yes moderation is good
2. The problem with sugar free treats that are packaged in the store is that they put all kinds of icky stuff in it to make it taste sweet. And sometimes when it says Fat Free, or Low Fat, they put more sugar in there to replace the fat! 
3. For many people moderation just isn't possible... thats sad to say but true. I can attest to that. Before I made changes in what I ate, I couldn't just stop at one. And for some people, thats a real reality. So yes moderation is good, but if you can take out the thing that is causing the problem to begin with, why not do it in a healthy way? 
When I used to make regular cakes, I would replace part, if not all the oil the box called for with apple sauce. In cookies or cakes you can replace refined white flour with whole wheat or rice or even almond, how is that not healthier than the "real thing"? 
I think that saying that is a cop out. If you can eat in moderation and only have one piece of cake, then more power to you. But if you're like lots of other people and can't stop at one piece, why not make something just as tasty and just as great, but without all the things that make it something that you dread putting in your mouth? I'm not saying go out and buy everything you see that says "sugar free" I'm saying make your own sugar free treats... then you know exactly what you put into it. 
Okay off my soap box... my new found soap box. At the end of the article they say that sliced strawberries are good replacement for cake, and they are! But sometimes its nice to be able to have a treat. And because I refuse to eat sugar, I need a sugar free cake. 
My original plan was to go a whole month without refined sugar... and on Sunday I'll have been doing it for 4 weeks... and I think I'll keep doing it. I don't miss sugar! I don't crave it. I get plenty in the fruits that I eat. So bring on the sugar free recipes! Look at this awesome bakery that is making Sugar Free Cake and Candy!! How I wish I lived in Oregon! Just Delicious Diabetic Bakery's stuff looks amazing! Maybe I can get mom to have a small cake shipped for my birthday! If a bakery can do this, why can't I?



No comments:

Post a Comment