Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: Veggie Chips

Today my grandparents told me about a house that was for rent that was 300 bucks. A house! Which would be awesome... if I had a job. I have not had a job for more than a month and I'm sooo discouraged. I have gone on a job interview at least every week that I've been unemployed, but so far nothing fits. I've been offered three jobs, but if I just wanted to take a job and then have to be looking for another job in three months, I would have taken a couple of those jobs. Another was in something that I have no experience and was commissioned based, and that just won't work for me.

It's just so frustrating. I have a college degree! I should be able to find a job that pays more than 10 bucks an hour! Needless to say it's impossible to find a job in my field. I have no practical experience out of school, and people just do like that. 

I love my mom, and we are so blessed to have a roof over our heads, but I am so ready to have my own house and use my own dishes. All my wedding stuff has been packed away for a year and a half. 

*sigh* okay, I'm over it. I just wish I had a job!


So today I did a ton of baking, which was probably stupid because it was the first day that was hot! Oh well, I did it anyway. The other day I was looking around Whole Foods and there were some veggie chips on display and they had a taster plate out, and so I tried one, liked it. Then I looked on the back of the bag and realized there were 9 grams of fat in them!! Plus they were 4 bucks for half a bag! 

I looked up a couple of recipes for baked veggie chips, and then I experimented. I made sweet potato chips, zucchini chips, and kale chips!

Here are pictures and recipes:

Ingredients: 
2 sweet potatoes
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil (you can leave this out)
Salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375
With a mandolin or if you can make even cuts with a knife slice the sweet potatoes, with or without the peel, I like them with. Toss them into a bowl with the olive oil. Lay them out on a pan and sprinkle with sea salt (if you want it, they are just as goo without the salt). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until they are toasted, make sure to keep an eye on them, because they will burn fast!

Toss in the bowl! 


Lay them out on a pan and then sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until they are toasty, make sure to keep an eye on them, because they will burn fast!

They will crisp up a little when you pull them out of the oven. 

Ingredients: 
2-3 leaves of kale
1 tbsp of olive oil (you can leave this out)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup graded parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 275
Wash and throughly dry kale. Pluck the leaves from the stems. Discard Stems and tear leaves into bite size pieces. Place in bowl and mix in everything together. Lay the kale in a single layer on either 2 cooling racks or 2 silicone line baking sheets. Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove and cool slightly. 

Mix everything together!

(I don't have a picture of them on the pan)

Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove and cool slightly. 

Ingredients: 
2 zucchinis 
1 tbsp of olive oil (you can leave this out)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup graded parmesan cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450
With a mandolin or if you can make even cuts with a knife slice the zucchiniToss them into a bowl with the olive oil, garlic, onion and parm. Lay them out on a pan, it works best if they are on parchment paper or silicone baking sheet, but I didn't use one. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until they are toasted, make sure to keep an eye on them, because they will burn fast!


Cut and mix all ingredients together!

Lay them out on a pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Keep an eye on them!

They are best hot! If there are any left to store, you may need to keep them in the fridge and pop them in the toaster or microwave when you want to eat them.

Enjoy!!









No comments:

Post a Comment